What can I do with a degree in Geography?
Review General Information and Advice or skip to more specific information pertaining to our department’s three major thematic areas…
Cultural and human geographers study the aspects of geography that relate to different cultures. They especially focus on cultural origins and movement and the cultural characteristics of regions.
- Cultural Resources
- Historic Preservation
- Historical Consultation
- Community Development/Redevelopment
- State, Regional and Local Government
- Peace Corps
- Real Estate Developers
- Companies dealing with insurance, transportation, communications and international trade
- Scientific and research groups
- Develop an open mind towards the language, history, customs and culture of other countries.
- Learn how to conduct library research, make field observations and interpret artifacts.
- Learn a foreign language for field observations in other countries.
- Participate in cross-cultural groups and organizations.
- Develop excellent communication and teamwork skills in order to work with historians and archivists in recreating the geography of the past.
- Obtain related experience in your area of interest through volunteer or paid positions including internships.
- Become skilled in related computer technology.
- Learn federal, state and local government job application process.