Geography Awareness Week
Geography Awareness Week 2023 will be November 13-17.
Check back for more details!
Last Year's Events:
- Geography Awareness Week Flyer
- Geography Awareness Week schedule
- GIS Day schedule
- Trimble eCognition workshop
- Film screening, Soil, Struggle, and Justice
- ASPIRE Open House, in the PAIS Building
- GIS Day Poster competition
- Trimble eCognition Workshop, Nov. 15
- GIS Day 2022 Activities
- Student Poster Competition
- Murphy Lecture: Dr. Juanita Sundberg
GEOGRAPHY AWARENESS WEEK: November 14-18, 2022
- Monday, Nov 14: Geography Awareness Table, UNM Duck Pond, 10 am - 3 pm
- Tuesday, Nov 15: ASPRS eCognition Workshop, Bandelier East 106, 9:30 - 11 am
- Wednesday, Nov 16 – GIS DAY Symposium
- Google Earth Virtual Reality Tour, SUB Atrium, 10 am - 1 pm
- GIS tables and demonstrations, SUB Atrium, 9 am - 4 pm
- GIS Lightning talks (students, faculty, alums), SUB Ballroom B, 10 am - 11:15 am
- Student poster competition, SUB Atrium, 9 am - 4 pm (awards ceremony at 4:30 pm)
- ASPIRE Open House (tours, equipment demos, and networking), PAIS Courtyard/Atrium, 4:30 - 6 pm
- Thursday, Nov 17: Film Screening, SUB Theatre, 3 pm: Soil, Struggle and Justice: Agroecology in Brazilian Landless Movement, followed by discussion with film director Andreas Hernandez
- Friday, Nov 18: Annual Murphy Lecture, by Dr. Juanita Sundberg (University of British Columbia): Unstable Grounds: Desert Soils and Boundary Enforcement at the United States – Mexico Border, Mitchell Hall, Rm 102, 3 - 4 pm, reception to follow
If you are interested in participating in GIS Day Symposium on November 16 as a presenter, a vendor, or to recruit people to your organization, let us help you get set up properly. Please register or email Theodros Woldeyohannes firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Yan Lin email@example.com.
For student poster competition, please submit your poster title and your name, or email Theodros Woldeyohannes firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week is #GeographyAwarenessWeek! Follow along as we share student/faculty stories, show you where geography pops up in everyday life and teach you about the geography of ABQ. Follow us on Twitter @UNM_GES for more frequent updates. First up, current grad student Joe Scala!
What do our faculty have to say about Geography? Assistant Professor Ben Warner tells us about how Geography can challenge us to look at the world more critically.#GeographyAwarenessWeek
From faculty to students and from feminist perspectives to public health, geography truly allows us to study the world around us in unique ways #GeographyAwarenessWeek
It’s #GISDay! How can we think spatially, incorporate technology, and learn valuable job skills? GES students Blair and Michael tell us about their experiences using GIS in their work #GeographyAwarenessWeek
How do our students choose geography and what lasting lessons do they take from their time in the discipline? #GeographyAwarenessWeek